Tourists and visitors welcome! Turistas y visitantes bienvenidos! Click here for more info on tours and services
Read more

History

of Our Church

About Our Parish

In the year 1924 the Franciscan Missionaries of the Third Order Regular (T.O.R), came to Texas and established the first mission in Waco, which was to minister to the spiritual needs of the Mexican population of this area. The fathers Miguel Vidal, T.O.R, Gabriel Tous, T.O.R, with the brothers Bartolomé Torrens and Francisco Darder and Jose Conway founded the Mission. The following year, on February 12, the first wooden church was blessed by the Bishop of Galveston, Fr. Cristóbal L. Byrne. A strong fire burned that first church in the year 1928. The Hall of the School, constructed in the fathers and the parishioners had the same ideal: to construct a more efficient and comfortable church.

To be able to construct a church of such colossal proportions a campaign was started between the Catholics of the Dioceses of Galveston and others of the state of Texas. The principal supporter of this campaign, backed up by the bishop, was Fr. Gabriel Tous, T.O.R., a young and enterprising priest that worked together with Fr. Pablo Puigserver, pastor since 1926. With great joy by all, on March 15, 1931 with solemnity the corner stone of our church was placed and blessed by the Vicar General of the Diocese. It was finish in November. In later years the walls were decorated with paintings, almost life size, representing the Stations of the Cross, the glorification of St. Francis and scenes of the arrival, predication and martyrdom of the first Franciscan Missionaries in Texas. The painting are the work of a painter of Mallorca, Spain and good friend of the Franciscan Fathers, the master Pedro Juan Barcelo. The architect was Mr. Roy E. Lane, and is good to point out that he recognized publicly the help of Fr. Pablo Puigserver and Fr. Gabriel Tous. Father Juan Domenge ordered the paintings. April 2, 1933 was the consecration of the altar of the church. 

Sobre Nuestra Parroquia

En el año 1924 los Misioneros Franciscanos de la Tercera Orden Regular (T.O.R.) llegaron a Texas y establecieron la primera misión en Waco, que administraría las necesidades espirituales de la población Mexicana de esta área. Los Recordados Padres Miguel Vidal, T.O.R., Gabriel Tous, T.O.R., junto con los hermanos Bartolomé Torrens, Francisco Darder y José Conway inauguraron la Misión. Al año siguiente, el día 12 de febrero, fue bendecida la primera Iglesia de madera por el Sr. Obispo de Galveston, Excmo. Sr.Cristóbal L. Byrne. Un fuerte incendio detruyó esta primera Iglesia en el año 1928. Para los servicios religiosos se destinó el salón de la Escuela, construida en el año 1926. Ya desde entonces, Padres y feligreses estuvieron animados por el mismo ideal: contruir una Iglesia más capaz y más cómoda.

Para poder construir una obra de tan colosales proporciones, se abrió una campaña entre los Católicos de la Diócesis de Galveston y otras del estado de Texas. El principal sostenedor de esta campaña, apoyada por el Sr. Obispo, fue el P. Gabriel Tous, T.O.R., joven y emprendedor, que trabajó a lado del P. Pablo Pugserver, Párroco desde el año 1926. Con inmensa alegría de todos, el día 15 de marzo del año 1931 fue colocada solemnemente la primera piedra de nuestra Parroquia y bendecida por el Vicario General de la Diócesis. Quedó terminada en Noviembre, fijándose el día de gracias para su Bendición, que efectuó el Sr. Obispo. En años posteriores las paredes fueron adornadas con pinturas de casi tamaño natural, representando las estaciones del Via Crucis, la glorificación de San Francisco y escenas de la llegada, predicación y martirio de los primeros misioneros Franciscanos en Texas. Las pinturas son obra del pintor mallorquín y buen amigo de los padres Franciscanos, el Maestro Pedro Juan Barceló. El arquitecto fue el Sr. Roy E. Lane, y es de notar que él reconoció públicamente la ayuda y acertadísimas sugerencias de los padres Fr. Pablo Puigserver y Fr. Gabriel Tous. Las pinturas fueron encargadas por Fr. Juan Domenge. El dia 2 de abril de 1933, se tuvo la consagración del Altar Mayor del templo. Fue consagrado bajo el título de ALTAR DE SAN FRANCICO. Las reliquias que se depositaron en el mismo son de S. Venerando, S. Teodoro, y Sta. Felícitas. La iglesia tiene un altar dedicado a la patrona de las Américas, Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe.